Monday, July 20, 2009

Homemade Popsicles

The other day I was shopping at Ikea and came across these:

They brought back so many great memories from my childhood. I had to buy them. My daughter has been patiently waiting for it to be hot enough for us to make popsicles. The time has finally come.


We've experimented and tried a few different kinds.

Berry pops:

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh, or frozen berries (We used a blend of frozen raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
1 cup plain yogurt (I used Dannon all natural vanilla yogurt)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (optional)

Directions:
Puree the fruit in a blender. Pour into molds and freeze.
We made these without the sugar. I don't think it's needed. Although if you're using plain yogurt you may want to add it. My daughter loved these. I love them because they're really just yogurt and fruit but she thinks they're a really great treat. My nine month old even got to enjoy these healthy pops.



Creamy juice bars
1-6 oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate, softened (or grape juice, cranberry juice)
1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened, or vanilla yogurt
Combine in blender. Pour into molds, insert sticks and freeze.


Strawberry Orange Pops

1 quart orange juice
2 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup vanilla yogurt
Blend until smooth or not-so-smooth, depending on preference. Pour into molds and freeze.


Fruity Pops


1 cup pineapple tidbits
1 small can mandarin oranges
2 cups white grape juice

Combine all ingredients (can blend smooth if preferred.) Pour into molds making sure the fruit is evenly distributed. Freeze.

Do you have any favorite popsicle recipes?

6 comments:

  1. We're definitely going to have to try these! Do your creamy juicy pops taste a little like orange creamsicles? Because I've been craving those lately. :)

    We don't have popsicle molds, but I made some pudding pops a couple weeks ago using dixie cups and popsicle sticks -- it worked great. Here's the recipe we used for...

    Chocolate Oreo Pudding Pops
    1 (4 oz) box instant chocolate pudding
    2 cups milk
    1 cup cool whip
    1 cup crushed Oreos

    Mix pudding with milk. Gently mix in cool whip. Fold in Oreos. Pour into molds and freeze.

    Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had homemade pudding pops when I was young and I loved them! I've been looking for molds that are a little stronger than the ones I have seen at the store lately. These look great! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They aren't as fun to make, but you can do the same thing with any yogurt cups, just insert a popsicle stick into the cup with the top still on and put int he freezer. You can get a ton of popscile sticks from any craft store.
    I want to try your orange cream one though, that sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're making a lot of popsicles over at our home too, and I just blogged about it this week here: http://nurturemama.blogspot.com/2009/07/all-things-frozen-day-3-frozen-snacks.html

    Our Orange Cream Popsicles definitely taste like creamsicles. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love these too! Ikea ROCKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you find these are easy to get the popsicle out. The set I used to have I had to run them under hot water to get them out. Don't really want to have to do that if at all possible. :)

    ReplyDelete